Sanssouci

'Sanssouci' was the name King Friedrich II of Prussia (1740 - 86) gave his little pleasure seat in a vineyard on the town's periphery. This name, which means something like 'house free from cares', suggests that Friedrich II wanted to leave his problems of running the state behind and spend his time in pursuit of private interests when he came here. Today, the name 'Sanssouci' Is used to denote the whole park complex, which covers 290 hectares, with the various palaces and other buildings set up in the course of a century from about 1744 to 1860. 'Sanssouci' is one of the finest pieces of German architecture and landscaping, which explains why so many tourists are here every year.